I am a vegetarian because i ‘feel’ that is how I naturally should be!, but if you don’t feel that way, I’ve a few reasons:
- 1 acre of land yields 165 lbs of beef or 20,000 lbs of potatoes!!
- ~ 25 gallons of water is needed to produce 1lb of wheat whereas ~ 2500 gallons to produce 1lb of (beef) meat
- 8/10 of cultivated land in the UK is used to grow food for animals (14,732,000 hectares)
- 25% of Central america’s forests have been destroyed for cattle grazing since 1960
- 20 vegetarians can live off the land required by one meat eater
- Unwanted male chicks (because they can’t lay eggs) are gassed or pulped while their sisters go to the battery sheds
- Chicks are debeaked without anaesthetic to prevent them injuring each other in the unnaturally confined conditions they are kept in – this is equivalent to having your fingernails pulled out without anaesthetic
- Farmed animals contain upto 50% saturated fat in their bodies
- 80% of food poisoning is due to infected meat (faeces, bacteria etc.) after all meat is decomposing flesh – most of the rest is due to salmonella in eggs
- Meat is full of traces of antibiotics, hormones, toxins produced by stress & pesticide residues that become concentrated from all the crops they have eaten
I got across these on http://www.flex.com/~jai/articles/101.html
I haven’t verified all the facts presented, but I do find them logical enough. I’ve copy-pasting a few of them.
you can leave your comment on this.